Winston Hearing Ends
December 3rd, 2014 by flanewsFlorida State quarterback Jameis Winston’s university hearing stemming from a 2 year old sexual assault incident – which he was never charged for – neded more than one day to get sorted out. As Matt Galka tells us, witnesses were in and out of the hearing all day.
Jameis Winston and his advisers arrived shortly before 9 a.m. on Wednesday for the second day of the Heisman winning quarterbacks conduct code hearing.
“This thing is over now…we just may need more time,” said Winston’s attorney David Cornwell.
Cornwell said that the accuser’s adviser, John Clune, had violated confidentiality orders when he met with the media following Tuesday’s session. Clune didn’t comment when he and his client arrived.
Several witnesses were called including a state attorney’s office investigator who interviewed the accuser last year.
Jason Newlin investigated the sexual battery allegations in December of 2013 and submitted his report to State Attorney Willie Meggs. He showed up with his case file – but admitted no one in his office was familiar with student conduct code hearings.
“I have no idea what questions are going to be asked, I really don’t. When we talked to Mr. Meggs, that was part of the discussion,” said Newlin.
Other witnesses included a Florida State police officer who responded to the accuser’s apartment in 2012. Winston’s teammates Chris Casher and Ronald Darby also were summoned on day one.
The hearing wrapped up around 4:30 p.m. Both sides seemed confident when they exited. Cornwell insisted there was nothing said in the two day hearing that would cause Winston to be guilty. Clune said they wanted to see Winston expelled.
No matter what the hearing finds, the ultimate decision will be in the hands of Florida State University President John Thrasher. He can accept or reject any decision that is made.
Posted in State News | Comments Off on Winston Hearing Ends